Search This Blog

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bang Bang Shrimp


Here is one of our favorite dinner items, Bang Bang Shrimp. I found a recipe for these shrimp about a year ago and have been making them ever since. From what I read, this recipe is a staple on either Bonefish Mack's or Bonefish Grill (I can't keep them straight), but I've never eaten there so I can't tell you if these are anywhere close to theirs. I've been told they are usually served over lettuce or on tacos.

But its an easy recipe. It takes less than 20 minutes, I usually have all the ingredients on hand, and I can sneak a bunch of veggies in it.

Here is how I make Bang Bang Shrimp

~1 lb peeled and de-veined shrimp (any size, I get what's on sale)
~1 cup light or fat-free mayo
~1 cup sweet chili sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot Sweet Chili, its cheap and easy to find)
~1 tbsp srircha hot sauce (adjust depending on your heat tolerance level. This stuff is lava hot)
~1 cup of corn starch
~1/4 cup oil (I like light olive oil)
Optional: Rice, noodles, veggies, soy sauce, garlic, ginger

First, mix up the Bang Bang Sauce by combining the mayo, chili sauce, and hot sauce, set aside.
Dredge the shrimp in the corn starch. The easiest way I do this is after I peel them, I pat them dry, and put them on a plate and sprinkle the corn starch on top. Move them around until completely covered but without a bunch of extra. Heat the oil in a large fry pan. When hot, add the shrimp and cook until they are cooked through, golden and crispy (less than 5 minutes).

At this point, I usually move the shrimp onto a plate while I stir-fry some noodles/rice with veggies (broccoli, peas, corn, mushrooms, water chestnuts, etc). I add soy sauce and the rest of the bottle of chili sauce to coat the noodles. Then I add the shrimp back in and add the Bang Bang sauce. Stir it up and serve!




Dinner is served!

2 comments: