Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Healthy Buffalo (turkey) Meatballs

Its been a busy month so far down here in Florida. First, I completed my master's thesis and graduated! Yay!

Then, Ohio State beat Michigan, we got new couches, I began studying for my comprehensive exams, Chris and I attended a wedding, I started my holiday baking spree (more on that later), and this weekend we will enjoy some family time. 

                                        Go Buckeyes           Wood Stork seen at our pond

Hibiscus - Love December in FL

Brutus enjoying the new couches

In addition to all this fun, I've still been having some fun in the kitchen. As I explained in my last post, I love fried foods, but try to limit my intake as much as possible. To still enjoy my favorite foods, I've looked for yummy substitutions. I recently saw a recipe for healthy buffalo meatballs online (I forget where) and decided to make my own version of it. 

Healthy Buffalo Meatballs (w/ ground turkey)
1 package of ground turkey (~20 oz)
1 cup breadcrumbs (any kind)
1 cup shredded cheese
1 egg
1 cup panko breadcrumbs (preferably panko)
1 bottle buffalo wing sauce
1 bottle ranch or blue cheese dressing
oil
salt/pepper
celery for dipping
 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, cheese and egg together. Roll the meat mixture into small meatballs and roll in the panko breadcrumbs. In a heated skillet that can be put into the oven (I used a cast iron skillet), lightly brown the meatballs. Finish cooking them in the oven (approximately 20-30 minutes, flipping halfway). When they're done, brush the meatballs with the buffalo sauce. Serve with celery sticks and enjoy!

Nice and toasty (careful, the pan is hot!)

Dinner!
What are your favorite junk food substitutions???


No comments:

Post a Comment