Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chocolate Lava Cakes

2012? When did that happen?

I can't believe how quickly 2011 went. This time last year, I was newly engaged, trying on dresses for the first time, looking at locations, and stressing about all the big wedding decisions.



My hansom puppy
Right now I'm stressing about wedding stuff, but not the big things anymore. Now I'm stressing about music selection, napkins, shoes, nail appointments, hair styles, favors, place cards, guest books, reservations, rings, and RSVP cards. And it seems like every time I check something off my list, there are 2 more things added. Just this morning I remembered that we needed to get our marriage licence. And that I have to find something for Brutus (our ring bearer) to wear that's not too formal and goes with our theme but then again he's a dog, so what does it matter, but theme is important and yadda yadda yadda.



Its really a strange feeling and I'm pretty sure I'm slowly driving all my friends crazy with all these wedding details. But at the same time, I'm pretty sure they love it. Ugh. I'm tired. I totally get why people pay big money for wedding planners. It would be nice to have someone to take care of all these details. Oh well.

So, as I buy favors, spanx, chose between two nearly identical cocktail dresses, and try to lose the last 10 lbs, I bake. And what's better than warm, gooey, chocolate cakes (because that will help with those last 10 lbs, right? Right???)?

Chocolate lava cakes are one of those impressive desserts that will stun a crowd, but are super easy to make. I've seen many recipes for them online and in cook books, but for this recipe I went straight to my trusted Betty Crocker Cookbook (New Edition). I followed the recipe nearly exactly, except that I added peppermint extract. What can I say... I can't leave well enough alone. Plus, peppermint is awesome.

Molten Chocolate Cakes

Ingredients:
Baking cocoa
6 oz semisweet baking chocolate, chopped (or chips)
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs butter
3 large whole eggs
3 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups powered sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract (optional but highly recommended)

Directions: (If serving immediately) Heat oven to 450 degrees. Grease bottoms and sides of six 6-oz custard cups with shortening (I used pam); dust with cocoa.

Melt the chocolate chips with the butter (microwave, stirring every 20-30 seconds), and cool slightly.

In a large bowl, beat the whole eggs and egg yolks with a whisk until well blended. Beat in 1 1/2 cups powered sugar. Beat in melted chocolate mix and the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the custard cups. Place the cups on a cookie sheet with sides (for easier removal from the oven).

Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the sides are set and the centers are still soft (the tops will be puffed and cracked). Let stand for 3 minutes. Run a small knife along the edges of the cups to loosen. Immediately place a plate on top and flip, removing the cup. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or berries. Serve warm.

If you need to, you can make the batter up ahead of time. Pour into the custard cups, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a day or two. If you do this, bake for 2-3 more minutes. Because it was just Chris and I eating them, we made two each night, and it was no problem.

With peppermint frozen yogurt, because I'm watching my weight
Enjoy! And Happy 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment