Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Busy Weekend Part 1: Hibiscus Tea

So it was a busy weekend in my kitchen...

I don't know where exactly I first got it in my head to make hibiscus tea, but I did. After some quick internet research I learned that I could buy dried hibiscus flowers online or in certain food stores. So on Friday night, I ventured out to the oriental market. They didn't have them. Then I went to the global market and buffet down the street. They had them (from Lebanon). Then, while I was at publix later, I found them there too. At publix, they were in the Jamaican/Haitian section (in S. FL we have a Jamaican/Haitian section next to the Asian foods).

Hibiscus flowers taste like a cross between citrus, berry, pomegranate flavors. It supposedly has some great health benefits, such as lowering blood pressure and tons of vitamin C.

To make the tea, just take about 2 cups of the dried flowers and 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and steep in 4 cups of boiling water for 10 minutes. Add another 4 cups of cold water and chill. You can also add some sliced oranges and cinnamon (many of the traditional recipes call for cinnamon sticks to be steeped with the flowers).

Yumm

This tea is pretty strong, but its also good mixed with one cup of plain green tea or cut simply with water.

No comments:

Post a Comment