Search This Blog

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Summer Time Frozen Key Lime Pie

So its been a few weeks since I've had a chance to do any real baking, but I did get around to throwing together some of my mom's awesome Frozen Key Lime Pie. But more on that in a minute.

This past weekend, at Gigi & Luca's Pet Boutique, they were holding a bake sale for a yorkie puppy that needed heart surgery. I didn't have much time to make anything extravagant, but I did make a cool recipe that I had seen on TV the previous Sunday morning (Hungry Girl... gotta find out more about this show). On the show, the host, who specializes in healthy but yummy good, made what she called "brownie cupcakes." All she did was mix one can of pureed pumpkin with a chocolate cake mix to make the under 200 calorie brownies. I did the same thing (too easy not to) and put them into mini-cupcake holders. They were pretty good, and with no oil or egg they were under 100 calories each. The only problem was that they weren't very sweet so I frosted them with a little chocolate frosting, just to liven' them up. I think next time I would either add a few chocolate chips or frost again.

I also made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from a bag. Ugh. They tasted like it. Nothing like my dad's recipe (which I will have to do a post on soon), but they worked fine for a bake sale.

Now, back to tonight's dinner:

Last weekend we went out to Longhorn's because we had a gift card. Chris ordered the Parmesan crusted chicken and loved it, so I thought I'd give it a go tonight. I cooked halved chicken breasts in olive oil with garlic and onion, then put a mix of panko bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese, parsley, and "chicken seasoning" (mostly paprika and salt) on top of the chicken and broiled it on high until they were nice and toasted. Yum...

For dessert, earlier I had whipped up a Frozen Key Lime Pie. Here's the recipe:
1 graham cracker crust (either home-made or bought, I used a store bought)
~4 limes (preferably key limes, but you will need more with key limes bc they're so damn small)
1 can (14oz) of sweetened condensed milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
(you can also have whipped cream and limes for garnish)

First, zest about a tablespoon of zest from the limes, the squeeze 1/2 a cup of juice. Mix the sweetened condensed milk and the lime zest/juice together. In a separate, chilled bowl, whip the heavy cream with a mixer until you get stiff peaks. Combine the whipped cream into the lime mixture in 3rds, then put it into the crust. Put in the freezer for at least 4 hours, if not overnight. It will keep, covered for about a week.



We ate our pie a little early (we couldn't wait) so its soft, but it usually firms up nicely. This is perfect in the summer because you don't need to use the oven, its light, refreshing, and only takes about 15 minutes to make!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment